Tuesday 3 April 2012

Oh Dear Dystopia...

(Just to warn you this a post about books, not clothes, shoes or make-up haha :P)


I seem to have gotten myself obsessed with reading dystopian fiction when I'm supposed to writing a dissertation on the F. Scott Fitzgerald and the American Dream...


I blame The Hunger Games, yes I know EVERYONE is raving about them right now, but I can't help but jump on the book bandwagon (not the film bandwagon, sorry wasn't impressed). I read all three novels in less than a week, so I think that explains how into them I got!


After reading The Hunger Games, I decided to check the online oracle that is Wikipedia and see what other dystopian fiction I could read and found out that I read quite a few already! When someone would mention dystopia fiction I would think back to my first year at uni and reading The Time Machine by H. G. Wells and even though I did enjoy it, it didn't quite tickle my pickle!


My favourites are these three-


Noughts & Crosses Series by Malorie Blackman.
It depicts a future in a world we would recognise but in some parts is radically different. Society is divided into two, with Noughts and Crosses making up the population. Noughts are white people, and they are considered inferior and Crosses are black people, and they hold the power. The novel tells the love story of a Nought, Callum and a Cross, Sephy and the difficulties they face. 
I read it when I was a teenager and it really made me think about racism and how damaging it is and it's got a great teenage love story and what girl doesn't like that!


The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
I'll just use the blurb on the back of the book as it describes it better than I could!
"In the world of the near future, who will control women's bodies?
Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are only valued if their ovaries are viable.
Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...."


And my most favourite of all- Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
The first in the "Shades of Grey" series. The story takes place in Chromatacia, an alternate version of the United Kingdom where social class is determined by one's ability to perceive colour. I think this is probably my favourite because its not a totally depressing description of the future, don't get me wrong some things are bad otherwise it wouldn't be a dystopia, but Fforde is such an amazingly witty author, I was actually doing the lols when I read it.

Really sorry if this post has bored any of you, but I read a lot and wanted to share some of my favourites. Don't worry my next post is going to be about shoes. Promise!
Oh and if you have any suggestions of what I should put on my reading list, let me know, books make me happy :)

love&'ugs
bakes x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for all your lovely comments x